"When you or a friend upload new photos, we use face recognition software — similar to that found in many photo editing tools — to match your new photos to other photos you're tagged in. We group similar photos together and, whenever possible, suggest the name of the friend in the photos." Source...If you are actively managing your online reputation, you might want to turn this feature off. ZDNet tells you how.
- Go into your Facebook privacy settings here.
- Underneath the scatter-graph of boxes, click Customise settings.
- Under Suggest photos of me to friends, click Edit settings.
- Facebook automatically enables this feature. On the dialog box, select whether you want the feature to be enabled or not. Click Disable if you do not want it.
- Press OK and it is automatically done.